Many Officials have a bin in their car filled with all that they might need for race day, and fill their pockets/fanny pack/waist pack upon arrival. Please don’t wear a backpack as it covers the ‘Technical Delegate’ or ‘Race Official’ lettering on your Official’s vest.
- Your cellphone should have a contact called ICE (in case of emergency) with a name and number we can reach out to if something happens to you. Or add it to your rulebook.
Weather Related Supplies
- sunscreen, chapstick, bug spray
- raincoat, rain pants, water proof footwear and Ziploc bags (for your phone and rulebook)
- mittens/gloves, heat pack shakers
- bike sleeves work well to keep your arms toasty
- dry socks
- a hat
- a small multi-tool (for removing illegal equipment, cutting zip ties, etc.)
- duct tape (small rolls for tagging, covering mirrors, tube ends, etc.)
- a small notebook and pencil/pen
- whistle on a lanyard
- penalty card (red/yellow/blue)
- current ITU Competition Rulebook
- A contained clipboard can conveniently hold your race information email, contact numbers, maps, pens, and notes.
- A few dollars for food purchases, and throw in a protein bar. Sometimes we are so busy there is no break for a meal, or there’s nothing left by the time we find it.
Take the results of the first 3 per age group from the prior year’s race to use as a results check template.
It may also help to make a small card up for the common penalties associated with the distances you are officiating that day.